Thursday, February 17, 2011

Power Outage on the Island . . .

Our power winked out several times this morning, waiting for several minutes before it announced its return in a flurry of appliance squawks, beeps, and blinking lights. I'm half-poised now for it to switch off again, taking my internet connection away along with the promise of hot liquids. Pater is getting the fire going in our wood stove, so should a longer outage ensue we'll have heat and will be able to get simple meals.

Mostly, though, I feel as if the outages are mocking me, mimicking my own lack of power. I have not yet bounced back from whatever is making me cough so deeply and sleep so soundly for hours every day. I had hoped to get to my Pilates class today, but I can already tell that's not going to happen. I have a commitment tomorrow afternoon on campus, and I'm crossing my fingers that the threatened snowfall might shut that down so I don't have to disappoint.

Still, I look at the photo of my sisters and I after our post-race crepes (borrowed from my baby sister's blog), and I can't help but smile. I may have pushed myself Sunday, but it was worth it to run with them. And perhaps my body's been needing an excuse to shut down for a while, to do nothing but sit and read and occasionally knit, go for the odd short walk on the island, listen to music, chat with my husband. I've been rushing and rushing and doing and pushing and meeting goals, and maybe a power outage is telling me to sit still in the quiet by the woodstove and simply be. . . .

Doesn't make for very exciting blogging, though, does it. . .


No comments:

Post a Comment